History of Work to Herne Mill

2000 - 2015 – This section still to be completed

1999 - Continuing problems with fan shaft and bearing eventually repaired by Chiltern
        New stocks fitted then ready shuttered sweeps fitted on 25th May (after delays due to bad weather)
        Striking gear fitted on following day
        Sweeps operated on 28th May
        Temporary floodlighting fitted to mill by Terry Pearman and Bill Hayward
        Shutters fouling mill when open 
        Windshaft jacked up to give greater clearance for sweeps
        Sump to old grain elevator filled with concrete
        Flail mill dismantled, cleaned, repainted and reassembled by Don Rouse
        Shutters removed from sweep tips for winter
        Temporary floodlights for Christmas

1998 - Trees (Leyllandeii cypresses) removed from mill grounds
        Scaffolding erected around mill 17th August
        Cap and curb removed by Chiltern Partnership
        Cap stored on supports in mill grounds
        Curb inspected, steel curb ring discarded, lower (elm) ring of curb retained
        Curb reconstructed by Chiltern Partnership with original lower ring, new top ring (elm) with
        78 oak curb teeth, top steel track and inner steel ring
        Top of cant posts repaired as necessary for new curb
        New breast beam manufactured and fitted (1991 beam had wrong curvature and wrong position)
        Steel stocks replaced with new timber stocks - one laminated, one solid
        Sweeps removed to Chiltern partnerships works at Mapledurham
        External gear cog to cap repaired by Chiltern Partnership
        New curb fitted to top of smock
        Cap repositioned
        Scaffolding dismantled and exterior of mill retarred using a cherry picker
        Fantail refitted to rear of cap
        Stocks, sweeps and new shutters still in Reading

1997 - Steel stocks sandblasted by G-Force and then painted by FoHM
        Striking pulley felloe (segment) manufactured by FoHM
        Sweeps repainted by FoHM

1996 - Emergency maintenance after loss of drive between fantail and worm
        Fantail - 2 blades rotten
        Cracks in brick walls allowing water ingress
        Some shutters removed from sweeps in April by FoHM and remainder in May by Steve Lawrence
        New fan blades manufactured by FoHM and refitted
        Shutter fittings shotblasted and repainted
        New shutters constructed by FoHM
        Pulley house floor concreted by FoHM
        Recommendation that cap be removed to fit new wooden curb
        Bolts to smoke bracing tightened or replaced by longer bolts
        Fan gearing slipping
        Sweeps, stocks and fantail removed by Chiltern Partnership in September
        Sweep frames and fan blades cleaned and painted by FoHM
        Striking gear pulley removed for repair
        Bin floor bins cleaned out and flooring replaced by FoHM

1995 - New fuse box fitted and changes made to wiring
        Brake beam repaired
        2 Shutters repaired
        Cap jammed due to broken teeth in worm in area where steel strap had been fitted
        6 brass faced skip plates fitted
        Anti-pigeon panels fitted to corners of cap
        Bolts to smock bracing on bin floor tightened

1994 - Cap jammed on 4 occasions and mill backwinded on 2 of those occasions causing 
        brake beam to be lifted and all teeth in contact with the worm to be broken
        Steel strap fitted on outside of curb around quarter segment where timber rotten and not holding teeth
        One truckle wheel too low due to split beam, truckle wheel possible catching tails of teeth
        Truckle wheel beam reinforced with steel bracket
        One skid iron repositioned to give more even distribution
        Weight added to brake beam to reduce chance of lifting

1992 - Pulley House rebuilt by FoHM

1990-1 - Further repairs carried out and a second pair of new sweeps fitted in 1991
        Grain elevator rebuilt by FoHM

1989 - Cap jammed and refused to move due to eccentricity of curb

1988 - Engine House rebuilt and Fantail replaced

1987 - Fantail blown away and Engine House collapsed by hurricane force winds in October

1986 - Restoration work completed and exterior retarred
        Herne Mill reopened by Roger Gale MP on 19th July 
        with interesting exhibits inside the mill provided by the Friends of Herne Mill

1985 - Following acquisition of the mill in December 1984 by KCC an extensive programme of restoration 
        took place including: 
                strengthening the cant posts,
                replacing parts of the intermediate framework of the smock frame and 
                replacing the weatherboarding

1980 - Mill ceased working on the retirement of Clive Wootton and it soon became derelict
        Many items of mill equipment disappeared

1975 - New sweeps completed and raised in June

1974 - Estimate for full restoration of the mill put at £12,100

1972 - The reefing stage around the mill was replaced

1971 - Cap rebuilt by Vincent Pargeter and other essential works carried out

1958 - Cost of repairs now £2,997 but due to lack of agreement on sharing costs the scheme was abandoned

1954 - Cost of renovation estimated at £1,700 but no work carried out

1952 - Electric Hammamac Flail Mill installed
        Sweeps ceased to provide power to the mill
        A Preservation Order was placed on Herne Mill

1936 - The other pair of sweeps removed and a new set put up on the old stocks

1931 - The cap stuck and refused to move in January due to the break up of the wooden worm.
        New cast iron worm fitted and the whole of the tower of the smock strengthened.

1930 - The older pair of sweeps removed as unsafe

1925 - Steam engine removed and replaced by a Mogul tractor engine capable of driving a Tattershalls Roller Mill

1906 - Mill struck by lightning and suffered damage

1887 - Steam engine installed to provide auxiliary power

18?? - Cloth common sails replaced by double patent shutters

1858 - One pair of sweeps replaced (30 feet long)

1856 - Mill raised on 2 storeys of brickwork (18" thick 17 feet high)

1831 - New sweeps (28 feet long) fitted and started at night on 28th November

1789 – Generally accepted construction date for present





Herne Mill a traditional Kentish Smock Mill owned by KCC and managed by the Friends of Herne Mill
Community Web Kit provided free by BT